Can Lice Treatment Make You Sick?

January 23, 2018

Can Lice Treatment Make You Sick?


Can Lice Treatment Make You Sick?

January 23, 2018

OTC lice removal medications and anti-lice shampoos have been available in the market for decades.

They consist of a variety of chemicals that affect the parasites’ nervous systems and paralyze them allowing you to wash them off with water.

With that being said, lice nowadays are no longer impacted by these treatments because they have developed resistance to their ingredients. As super-lice continue to invade the heads of little ones, companies were forced to look to different chemicals that can be used in lice removal methods—some of which can be dangerous for your child.

Lindane—a dangerous prescription treatment

Lindane is an organochlorine insecticide that is FDA approved but it can be toxic to brain cells. Lindane works by destroying the lice’s nervous systems and can also affect human brain cells too. The FDA states that Lindane should be used extremely carefully people weighing 110 pounds or under – most children fall into this category.


Ovide was introduced into the US market in the 1990s, where it was all set to replace Lindane. Ovide consists of a chemical called malathion which causes chemical reactions in the brains of pests – and humans too. Although it is a much milder chemical compared to Lindane, Malathion can also be dangerous after long-term exposure.

In its rawest form, it can seep into the skin and into the bloodstream. Ovide hasn’t conducted its own research on whether it can be absorbed into the circulatory system but it is a possibility.

An associate professor of dermatology found that Ovide is one the fastest lice treatments available in the market; it can kill lice in just 20 minutes. However, the packaging of Ovide suggests that it be left on the child’s head for 8-10 hours which can be dangerous for a child’s nervous system. The longer the chemical remains on the head, the more likely it is to be absorbed. Also, this over-exposure increases the chance of lice becoming resistant to it.

Lice Busters USA

Stay on the safe side and don’t risk exposing your children to toxic pesticides that can prove to be harmful for them in the long-run. Anxious parents have a tendency to use too much of OTC medication, ignoring all the precautions on the labels.

At Lice Busters Winter Park, USA, we use pesticide free products to remove lice, combined with fine-tooth combing and nit-picking. We guarantee that our treatments will successfully remove all lice and nits.

Orlando residents can call us at 800-403-5423 to book an appointment for our in-home lice removal services. We also provide home inspections and cleaning to ensure no lice are left behind. If you’re uncomfortable with removing head lice at home, visit us in our lice treatment center Winter Park in US.

Limited Time Offer

10% Off Single Treatment

    Ask Your Question

      Book an Appointment